3. Initial move-in

Initial move-in can occur after ‘practical completion’ of fitout works has been achieved. In certain circumstances, the premises can be occupied under partial ‘practical completion’ arrangements subject to agreement with the contractor and the Department of Housing and Public Works (HPW). Special conditions may apply and expert advice is required if this approach is under consideration. 

When agencies arrange removal contractors directly, prior building-owner approval must be obtained to ensure that inconvenience to other tenants will be minimised and building services and equipment will not be overloaded or damaged. A building owner has the right to dictate timing of relocations so that other building occupants are not inconvenienced, and to insist that adequate building security be maintained after hours (generally at the tenant’s cost). 

In some cases, specialist contractors might be required to relocate and/or install sensitive equipment such as computers and photocopiers or heavy items such as safes. Specialist contractors should be arranged directly by agencies. 

It is the responsibility of agencies to setup and reconfigure office equipment such as computers, servers, networks and the like. This work does not form part of the consultant’s services and is separate from the fitout project’s scope. Any internal or external personnel costs related to office equipment setup and reconfiguration (including costs for after-hours work) are the responsibility of agencies. 

Agencies are responsible for the internal coordination of their staff when moving to new premises or accommodation, and to acquaint staff with the occupancy conditions applicable to that building. The coordination process can include staff briefings, email advice, newsletters and building operational manuals according to the size and nature of the move. Clear emergency procedures, including building evacuation, need to be communicated to staff as part of this process. 

HPW can provide additional advice and services related to the initial move-in process if required. 

Business-related items that need to be considered in this process include: 

  • notification of change of address and telephone numbers to clients, other agencies, directories, suppliers, contractors, etc. including updating Govnet information 
  • arranging new business stationery 
  • adjusting asset registers 
  • signage 
  • allocation of car parking (staff and visitors) 
  • cleaning arrangements and the continuation of any special services 
  • security arrangements including after-hours access 
  • building management arrangements including emergency contacts.