The purpose of URL design guidelines is to ensure that agencies across the Queensland Government employ a consistent approach to URL naming conventions.
Following these guidelines will help you create 'clean' and 'persistent' URLs. There are several benefits to using clean and persistent URLs:
- Persistent URLs attract links. Links from other websites are the third-most common way people find sites.
- Persistent URLs instil trust in users who return to the site.
- Clean URLs are more marketable and memorable.
A number of general principles apply whenever you decide to create a new URL:
- URLs should be simple and easy to read and remember.
- All URLs should be designed with a view to ensuring persistence over a lengthy period of time.
- A sound directory structure will assist in the construction of 'clean' URLs.
More specific principles are outlined in these guidelines for use with static and dynamic web pages (including web applications).