People matters provides current and aspiring team leaders with the practical skills and confidence to effectively manage people, performance and change in the workplace.
It aims to help our leaders increase workplace engagement, innovation and the performance of their team, while improving culture and inclusive leadership.
It is delivered by the Australian Institute of Management (AIM) in partnership with the Public Service Commission (PSC).
- Understand the authorising environment and responsibilities of a public service team leader.
- Develop knowledge and practical skills to meet changing organisational and workforce needs.
- Develop the skills and confidence to manage people, performance and change.
People matters is offered in 2 modes: an open program with other government employees, and an in-house agency program.
- Skills assessment by participants and their supervisors to identify key development areas.
- Module 1: leading in the public sector
Days 1 and 2
- Module 2: leading teams
- Module 3: communicating effectively
- Module 4: managing for high performance
- Module 5: leading change
- Workplace Practice Plan to translate program learnings into positive new behaviours in your workplace.
- Skills assessment by participants and their supervisors to identify how program learnings are being applied in the workplace.
The following People matters programs are available as additional stand-alone 1-day workshops to gain an in-depth understanding of specific management issues:
Completing People matters is not a pre-requisite to undertake these programs. If you have completed the Practical People Management Matters course or People matters, you may also find the modules helpful.
- 3-day program: $880 per person in a public course (Brisbane area)
- 1-day programs: $330 per person in a public course (Brisbane area)
Talk to your supervisor if you are interested in attending the program.
Contact your HR team or contact AIM for open program availability.
Contact AIM to discuss tailoring People matters to your agency's needs, including delivery location (regional or metropolitan).
Agencies can engage AIM, under a standing offer arrangement (PSC–10–2015), to deliver in-house programs for 20 participants without a tendering process.
PSC owns the intellectual property of People matters, which is delivered under the SOA with AIM. It may not be delivered by any other party.
PSC and AIM are offering People matters scholarships in 2019. Talk to your supervisor or HR area if you are interested in applying for a scholarship to the program. Read the flyer for more information , and visit the AIM website to register your interest.
Join the People matters Yammer group to share experiences and challenges during and after the program.
You can support team members completing the program by making sure they have time to:
- complete the self-paced online module and other activities
- attend workshop days
- seek guidance on internal processes
- complete the workplace project, and apply the learnings.
The program includes evaluation processes at various stages throughout the course for participants and supervisors to give feedback.
You can also send feedback to the PSC at firstname.lastname@example.org