People matters provides current and aspiring team leaders with the practical skills and confidence to effectively manage people, performance and change in the workplace.
The program supports our leaders to foster stronger workplace engagement, innovation and team performance. Participants will better understand their own leadership style and team dynamics, and explore approaches to building more inclusive and effective workplace cultures.
People matters is one of the most popular leadership programs for Queensland public sector employees and is delivered by the Australian Institute of Management (AIM) in partnership with the Public Service Commission (PSC). Learning streams include the original 3-day program and new 1-day offerings focused on performance conversations as well as recruitment and selection.
AIM delivers programs open to all Queensland public sector employees (see details on right) and can also run People matters in-house upon request.
Who is it for?
People matters is designed specifically for the Queensland public sector. It aligns to the Leadership competencies for Queensland for team leaders (responsible for leading individual contributors to deliver team outcomes). Participation is not restricted by an employee’s level (e.g. AO or PO) and supports public sector employees' performance obligations.
People matters learning objectives:
- understand the authorising environment and responsibilities of a Queensland public sector team leader
- develop knowledge and practical skills to meet changing organisational and workforce needs
- develop the skills and confidence to manage people, performance and change.
Performance conversations learning objectives:
- take a strengths-based approach to empowering your employees through effective conversations
- build critical skills and confidence through action-learning
- explore contemporary strategies to engage your employees and improve team performance.
Recruitment and selection learning objectives:
- understand the recruitment and selection merit principle and develop the skills to apply it in practice
- develop skills and strategies to make informed choices in selections to better predict future performance
- understand the importance of selection and onboarding to retain valuable employees within the Queensland public sector.
- People matters 3-day stream: $940 per person
- People matters 1-day streams: $360 per person
How to book
Visit the AIM website for more information and to register for sector-wide sessions.
Contact AIM directly to discuss tailoring People matters to your agency's needs, including delivery location. Agencies can engage AIM under a standing offer arrangement (PSC–10–2015) to deliver in-house programs for 20 participants without a tendering process.
PSC owns the intellectual property of People matters, which is delivered under the SOA with AIM. It may not be delivered by any other party.
2020 regional scholarships
To support development for regional employees, PSC are offering scholarships to agencies in six locations (see details on right).
Scholarships are provided on a one-for-one basis, with agencies funding one paid registration per scholarship placement, and are available for two learning streams:
- one scholarship is available per agency for People matters (valued at $940 per person)
- six scholarships are available per agency for People matters: performance conversations (valued at $360 per person)
To foster greater diversity of thought and lived experience in leadership positions agencies are strongly encouraged to prioritise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, as well as people with disability.
Scholarship closing dates
Registrations close one week prior to each regional visit (see details on right).
How to apply
Chief HR officers will coordinate agency scholarships. Talk to your supervisor or HR area if you are interested in applying. Download the 2020 People matters regional scholarship guide for more information.