Join Sally Washington in examining the complexity of developing effective policy infrastructure to become a more impactful leader and advisor to others.
Date3rd Nov 2022 - 3rd Nov 2022
Time10:00 am - 12:00 pm
LocationOnline via Microsoft Teams
In these times of rapid change, growing complexity, and multiple uncertainties, governments need to prepare for the unexpected. COVID-19, the increase in forest fires in Australia, and Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine have stimulated more thinking in government about what challenges may come next. Strategic Foresight can help illustrate plausible long-term futures and major disruptions.
Foresight is a systemic, structured way of using ideas about the future to better anticipate and prepare for change. It contributes to the development of knowledge and policy-relevant insights and supports innovation by exploring how problems might evolve. It does not predict the future, but rather assists in the elaboration of plans and strategies that are robust across a range of different eventualities.
Join Professor Bart Édes as he introduces participants to key concepts used in Strategic Foresight, examples of its use in the public sector, and tools that can be applied to policy questions confronting organisations.
On completion of this masterclass, participants will be able to:
- Recognise key social, technological, environmental trends and drivers of change that are influencing the context for policymaking in Australasia
- Reveal and challenge core assumptions that are shaping public policy and public dialogue on an issue
- Explore beyond the assumed future to consider a wider range of plausible contexts in which policy may operate
- Make use of strategic foresight tools, such as horizon scanning, the futures wheel, backcasting, and scenario planning
- Explain the benefits of strategic foresight to decision makers and understand obstacles to using foresight in the public administration
- Identify practical steps to make their organisation “future ready”.
Date: Thursday, 03 November 2022
Time: 10.00am – 12:00pm
Venue: Live online via Microsoft Teams
This masterclass is the first in the Future-focus series and aligns with the following leadership competencies:
- Stimulates ideas and innovation
- Leads change in complex environments