Request flexible work arrangements
The Queensland Government is committed to workplace practices that improve the balance between work and life for its employees, irrespective of gender.
Queensland Government employees can request flexible work arrangements under the Industrial Relations Act 2016. The request must be made in writing and detail the requested commencement date, the change you are seeking and reasons for requesting the change. Your request will be considered by your manager and submitting a request does not give you an automatic right to the arrangement requested.
Agencies have 21 days from the receipt of the request to respond. The response must be in writing and include reasons if refused. If an agency fails to respond within the timeframe it is considered a refusal and as such the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission has jurisdiction to hear and decide a dispute over the request. All employees have the right to appeal a request that was denied.
Download the Flexible work agreement template to help you with your written request.
Contact your Human Resources team for more information about the Act and how it applies to flexible working.
Request for flexible work
Flexible work arrangements can be agreed or established through:
- general approval: such as flexible start times through discussion between an employee and supervisor
- ad hoc arrangements: such as short-term remote working through discussion or email between an employee and supervisor
- documentation: for ongoing or long-term job sharing—this is particularly important where salary is affected—through a flexible work agreement (DOCX, 261 KB).
- consider the value and benefits to the employee and workplace
- be creative and solutions focused
- understand the business outcomes
- consider any impacts on the broader team
- promote a 'guilt-free' attitude to requests
- cultivate an open and trusting environment
- be prepared to trial something different and review after a period of time
- remember no one size fits all—everybody and every situation is different.
Download the Flexible work request checklist (DOCX, 258 KB) to help you assess and implement requests for flexible working.