Follow the disciplinary process
Following a preliminary assessment and appropriate enquiries - and where necessary an internal or external investigation - an authorised decision maker who is 'reasonably satisfied that grounds for disciplinary action exist' may commence a disciplinary process in accordance with section 187 of the Public Service Act (PSA) 2008.
- Prepares letter – show cause 1 - which details the allegation.
- Receives and responds to letter - show cause 1.
- Considers response to letter show cause 1.
- Determines whether there are grounds for disciplinary action based on 'balance of probabilities' - Briginshaw test.
- If grounds, proposes disciplinary action – prepares letter show cause 2 (anchored link).
Factors taken into account when determining an appropriate disciplinary action include:
- The employee's response (if any)
- Overall, work performance and employee's potential for modified behaviour.
- Seriousness of the matter.
Letter will include relevant appeal rights
- Receives and responds to letter show cause 2 – opportunity to propose any justification for why a different disciplinary action should apply.
- Considers response to show cause 2
- Prepares decision letter (anchored link to show cause 2 templates) – outlining what disciplinary action (if any) will be taken and the date the decision will be implemented.
- Receives decision letter and advice on appeal rights – appeal must be made within 21 days from receipt of Decision letter.
- Terminations implemented immediately – an unfair dismissal application can be lodged with the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
- Implements disciplinary action if no appeal or appeal is concluded.
- Provides advice to human resources, payroll etc.
Disciplinary action may include:
- Termination of employment
- Reduction in classification
- Monetary penalty
- Increment reduction/deferral
Management action - instead of or as well as disciplinary action - may include:
- Performance improvement process
- Change of duties
- Training and development
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about disciplinary action (DOCX, 78 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about disciplinary finding (and proposed disciplinary action) (DOCX, 79 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about disciplinary finding (finding made that ground exists but discipline action terminated) (DOCX, 78 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about disciplinary finding (no finding and termination of (DOCX, 77 KB)disciplinary process) (DOCX, 77 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about suspension (with remuneration) (DOCX, 78 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - decision about suspension (without remuneration) (DOCX, 78 KB)
- Letter - show cause 2 - show cause about suspension without remuneration (DOCX, 77 KB)