As a driver or fleet manager there are simple measures you can take to improve the environmental performance of your QFleet vehicle or fleet. Many of these actions improve safety as well:
- Check tyre pressure weekly. Driving with less than the recommended tyre pressure increases fuel consumption and emissions.
- Remove any unnecessary weight (e.g. unrequired items in the boot), and do not overload the vehicle.
- Drive smoothly by anticipating traffic conditions, accelerating conservatively and braking early and steadily.
- Use cruise control when on the open road.
- Plan your journey, combine trips and use public transport or walk whenever practical. Reduced driving means reduced fuel consumption.
- Follow the manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and service repairs.
- Whenever selecting a vehicle from your car pool or deciding on a new vehicle for the fleet, choose the lowest emission vehicle that will perform the task safely and efficiently.
- Consider battery electric, plug-in hybrid, hybrid or other low emissions vehicles.
Find out more about how to reduce the environmental impact of your vehicle/s in the QFleet Emissions Reduction Guide for the Queensland Government motor vehicle fleet (PDF, 2MB).