Public Sector Management Program
Delivered by the Queensland University of Technology, the Public Sector Management program (PSMP) provides aspiring public sector leaders with knowledge and skills to successfully manage the business of government, and position themselves for future leadership opportunities.
Graduates receive a Graduate Certificate in Business (Public Sector Management) and are eligible for credit or advanced standing into further post graduate programs, including QUT’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master of Business.
The 15-month program has 4 units which include 14 workshop days and self-directed online learning to:
- understand and manage the business of government
- think systemically in an ambiguous and contestable world
- be accountable and be held to account
- become a reflective practitioner
- manage relationships for customer and business outcomes
- enable yourself and others for productivity and performance.
Each year, the Public Service Commission partners with QUT to offer one-for-one scholarships for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander employees to undertake the highly regarded PSMP as part of the government’s commitment to building Queensland’s leaders of tomorrow, today. In June 2019 there are 2 scholarships available.
Successful applicants receive a scholarship covering tuition fees of $10,800. Travel to and from the workshops and accommodation will not be included in the scholarship.
Scholarship applicants must:
- identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander ( a Confirmation of Aboriginality will be required for application)
- be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen
- work for the Queensland Government
- commence study in the Brisbane (BNE-1902) cohort beginning on 24 June 2019
- submit a cover letter addressing the opportunities that the scholarship will provide you (300-500 words)
- submit your current CV detailing your supervisory and/or stakeholder experience
- meet entry requirements of the PSMP detailed on www.qut.edu.au/study/psmp
- submit a fully completed 2019 Queensland Diversity Scholarship Checklist
- agree to actively assist QUT and the Public Service Commission in the future advertising of scholarships by participating in promotional activities, including but not limited to, blog stories, interviews, speaking at information sessions plus endorsement and sharing of social media posts.
Scholarship applicant’s Agency must:
- Agree to fund one additional, full paid placement for the Brisbane BNE-1902 cohort.
- These participants may meet but are not limited to the scholarship application criteria but must meet the course entry requirements.
How to apply through QUT
Step 1: Apply for a scholarship
The applicant must email their CV, the completed scholarship checklist and a cover letter addressing the following statement in no more than 300-500 words:
Share with us what opportunities this scholarship would afford you.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Shortlisting of applications
A QUT panel will assess and shortlist applications based on:
- the statement on what opportunities this scholarship will afford the applicant
- ability to complete the PSMP in terms of other commitments
- ability to meet the entry requirements of the Public Sector Management Program.
QUT may interview the shortlisted applicants via skype if required.
- Closing date for application 29 April 2019.
- Interviews if required will be scheduled once applicants have been shortlisted.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 13 May 2019.
- Additional Queensland Government agency placements must be communicated to QUT by Wednesday 22 May 2019.
For any queries please contact QUT
Visit the QUT website for registration, contact details, and course information.