Improve the environmental performance of your vehicle
As a driver or fleet manager there are simple measures you can take to improve the environmental performance of your QFleet vehicle or fleet. Many of these actions improve safety as well.
These steps include:
- Check tyre pressure weekly. Driving with less than the recommended tyre pressure increases fuel consumption and emissions.
- Remove any unnecessary weight (e.g. unrequired items in the boot), and do not overload the vehicle.
- Drive smoothly by anticipating traffic conditions, accelerating conservatively and braking early and steadily.
- Use cruise control when on the open road.
- Plan your journey, combine trips and use public transport or walk whenever practical. Reduced driving means reduced fuel consumption.
- Follow the manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and service repairs.
- Whenever selecting a vehicle from your car pool or deciding on a new vehicle for the fleet, choose the lowest emission vehicle that will perform the task safely and efficiently.
- Consider battery electric, plug-in hybrid, hybrid or other low emissions vehicles.
Find out more about how to reduce the environmental impact of your vehicle/s in the QFleet Emissions Reduction Guide for the Queensland Government motor vehicle fleet (PDF, 2MB).