Appoint a senior executive
The Senior Executive Service (SES) comprises senior executive officers within the Queensland public service.
It does not include:
- chief executives
- senior officers
- officers appointed on a section 122 contract.
Under Senior Executive Service employment conditions directive, vacant SES roles must be advertised in accordance with recruitment and selection directive unless otherwise determined by the Public Service Commission (PSC) Chief Executive.
Appointments, secondments, and interchanges
The Appointment, Secondment, and Interchange Arrangements SES Guideline sets out the processes for appointment, secondment and interchange of SES officers.
- Form A: Senior Executive nomination: advertised vacancy
- Form B: Senior Executive nomination: non advertised vacancy
- Form C: Senior Executive nomination: interchange arrangements
- Form D: Senior Executive Officer profile confirmation
The SES employment conditions directive sets out the requirements for appointment and the employment conditions (including remuneration rates) for officers appointed at the senior executive classification level.
SES standard contract template
Once the PSC Chief Executive has appointed an individual to an established SES position, a written contract of employment for a term of up to 5 years must be entered into between the SES officer and their chief executive in accordance with sections 113 and 114 of the Public Service Act 2008.
This contract template should be used for:
- a newly appointed SES officer
- an existing SES officer appointed or transferred to a new SES position
- an existing SES officer to be further employed in their current SES position following expiry of their current contract term, e.g. at the choice of the parties, use this new template at the end of the SES officer’s 3 year term and not use the +2 year option (note: an existing SES officer should not finish their current contract term early to enter into this new contract template).
Change a SES profile
Under section 109 of the Public Service Act 2008, the Governor in Council must approve proposals for a SES profile change that involve a change to the:
- number of SES positions; and/or
- SES classification level.
Subject to support of the PSC Chief Executive, the proposal will be submitted to the Premier for consideration and for approval to proceed to Governor in Council.
The PSC Chief Executive may endorse changes to the SES profile where there is no change to the number and/or classification levels to the existing SES profile approved by Governor in Council. However, if the PSC Chief Executive considers the proposal to have significant organisational implication, the proposal will be forwarded to the Premier for advice.
See the SES Profile Management Procedures for more detail.