Encourage flexible work conversations
Flexibility is the key ingredient for an environment where everyone can achieve a healthy work-life blend. The Queensland Government is committed to providing all employees with the right to request and discuss flexible work arrangements.
Flexible work requires an ongoing conversation between managers and employees that demonstrates give and take, trust, open communication, cooperation, negotiation and ethics.
These resources can help guide the conversation about flexible work:
- Managers guide to encouraging flexible work conversations and Management by outcomes (DOCX, 249 KB)
- Employee guide to negotiating flexible work (DOCX, 280 KB)
Check out our top tips for managers and employees about flexible working.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Flexible working is only possible when the organisation, the manager and the employee work together:
- Organisation sets the strategic direction that underpins the policy framework and cultural norms. This includes ensuring there is clarity of expectations, roles and performance. Effective job design, system and processes will enable the organisation to perform at its best.
- Manager works with employees to help find solutions that balance work and personal needs. Solutions are fair and equitable to everyone involved, while managing the business imperatives of the work unit and ensuring performance standards are maintained.
- Employee takes ownership of their career and personal goals, and works with their manager to discover mutually workable solutions. Adaptability and an understanding of team and organisation needs are key capabilities.
Download the Key responsibilities and accountabilities resource (DOCX, 90 KB) for more information on your role in flexible working.