Leaving the public service

If you are a permanent employee, you may leave the public service by:

If your position is made redundant as a result of workplace change, your agency must seek to identify an alternative suitable role for you in the Queensland Government. Under the supporting employees affected by workplace change program, a voluntary redundancy may be available if an alternative role cannot be identified.

Retrenchment may only occur in exceptional circumstances, as stated in the Employment security policy.

Medical retirement

You may be able to apply for a voluntary medical retirement package if your agency has agreed to apply the voluntary medical retirement scheme and you have medical evidence certifying that you have an injury or illness that prevents you from continuing in or returning to your current role or other roles.

You may be involuntarily retired due to ill-health by your agency under section 174 of the Public Service Act 2008 (PDF, 1.17MB).

Support with a medical condition

Separation procedures

Under the Employment separation procedures directive, all agencies must have procedures in place for employees when they leave the public service.

You should complete a checklist (PDF, 839 KB) acknowledging you have returned all government property, and completed any other processes required. Check with your HR team to see how this works in your agency.

Chief executives, senior executives (SES), and equivalent officers must:

Post-employment obligations

If you are considering employment outside of the Queensland public sector, there may be obligations you required to observe pre- and post-separation.

More information

How to notify QSS of employee separation