Public Sector Management Program
The Public Sector Management Program (PSMP) provides current and aspiring team leaders and program leaders with the knowledge and skills to successfully navigate the business of government and position themselves for future leadership opportunities.
PSMP is a post-graduate course delivered by the Queensland University of Technology (QUT). It leads to a Graduate Certificate in Business (Public Sector Management) and you don't need an undergraduate degree to enrol.
The engaging and tailored curriculum supports participants to meet the changing needs of the Queensland public sector, and is designed to maximise workplace learning through a mix of workshops, case studies, work-based projects and access to a virtual learning environment.
QUT offers multiple intakes throughout the year, and the four-unit course is delivered in 12–15 months. PSMP is focused around four intensive workshops (to minimise disruption to the workplace) and participants receive access to all university support services throughout the course.
Who is it for?
PSMP has been designed in collaboration with the governments of Australia to meet the needs of the contemporary public sector, and aligns to the Leadership competencies for Queensland:
- team leaders—responsible for leading individual contributors to deliver team outcomes
- program leaders—responsible for leading team leaders and/or multiple projects or areas of work.
Participation is not restricted by an employee's level (e.g. AO or PO) and supports public sector employees' performance obligations.
The Graduate Certificate provides credit or advanced standing eligibility for further post-graduate study including QUT's Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Business programs.
- understand the 'big picture' of government and the context within which you operate
- develop an understanding of the institutional frameworks and conventions which guide practice and ensure sustainable democratic processes
- obtain insights into key individual and group behaviours, and develop skills for communicating and managing people and teams
- explore the variety of relationships that you need to build across and outside of the public sector
- gain highly effective and appropriate tools, processes and diagnostic capabilities to deliver and sustain the business of government.
Courses begin at intervals throughout the year, with three application periods. Refer to this QUT timetable for details.
- $11,500 (excl. GST)
How to apply
Visit the QUT website for more information and to submit your application with supporting documentation.
For course queries, contact QUTeX (QUT Graduate School of Business):
- 1800 145 041