Manage government performance
The Queensland Government's Performance Management Framework Policy (PMF) provides a structure for agencies to meet legislated performance management requirements.
The framework focuses on 3 key aspects of public sector performance:
- Planning—at the whole-of-government, agency and individual levels to determine what outcomes are to be achieved for customers, stakeholders and the community.
- Measuring and Monitoring Performance—achieved across the whole-of-government direction, agency business direction, agency service delivery, and at the individual level.
- Public Reporting—of the performance of the Queensland Government, in a fair and balanced way, to facilitate accountability.
In focusing on these key areas the PMF helps to:
- inform direction setting, planning and policy development and implementation
- inform capability, resourcing and service delivery
- effectively measure and report on progress and achievements.
If you are new to the PMF process, for a broad understanding of performance management see the:
- Queensland Government Performance Management Framework—An Overview (PDF, 472 KB)
An introduction to the scope, purpose, application and general obligations and requirements related to performance management.
- Big Picture View (PDF, 129 KB)
A visualisation of the key drivers and influences related to government performance and the activities and obligations associated with the three elements of the PMF.
- 2021-2022 Queensland Public Sector Strategic Management Planner
A calendar of events highlighting management and corporate governance activities for the financial year. The planner can be provided in Visio format if required for use by agencies. Email your request to email@example.com .
Planning is a fundamental component of the PMF, and is recognised as the starting point in any strategic management cycle. The mandatory requirements for strategic planning are detailed in Agency Planning Requirements (PDF, 374 KB) (APRs).
For help preparing strategic, operational and specific purpose plans see the:
- Strategic Planning Better Practice Guide (PDF, 433 KB)
Information to assist agencies in undertaking strategic planning activities and developing strategic plans, including advice on:
- setting the agency's strategic direction
- key elements of a strategic plan
- engaging with stakeholders
- publication of plans
- reviewing, measuring and monitoring strategic plans.
- Strategic Planning Toolkit (PDF, 1.11 MB)
Specific tools to assist agencies in undertaking strategic planning processes to ensure minimum mandatory requirements are met, including:
- an outline of a generic strategic planning process
- minimum requirements checklist.
- Operational Planning Toolkit (PDF, 351 KB)
Information to assist agencies in developing operational plans for relevant business areas or an operational plan for the whole agency.
- Specific Purpose Planning Requirements—Mandatory and discretionary planning (PDF, 326 KB)
A list of all specific purpose planning requirements—mandatory and discretionary—and high level direction around each requirement.
The Financial Accountability Act 2009 stipulates that, each financial year, the government must prepare a budget for the state and for each portfolio (i.e. the State Budget).
Service Delivery Statements (SDS), presented in Budget Paper 5, provide budgeted financial and non-financial information for the budget year. A separate document is provided for each portfolio. These documents are a key accountability mechanism subject to public scrutiny and form the basis of questions during the parliamentary estimates processes.
For help with preparing non-financial performance information contained in SDS Performance Statements see the:
- SDS: Performance Statement Better Practice Guide (PDF, 634 KB)
Information to assist agencies in developing, reviewing and improving non-financial information presented in SDS documents, including:
- background information providing context around the SDS and the PMF
- specific guidance related to each element of SDS performance statements
- machinery-of-government issues.
- SDS: Performance Statement Toolkit (PDF, 400 KB)
Specific tools to assist agencies, including:
- naming service areas and services
- service standards
- a data dictionary template.
The Financial Accountability Act 2009 (FAA) (section 63) requires all departments and statutory bodies to prepare annual reports for tabling in the Legislative Assembly.
The Financial and Performance Management Standard 2019 (FPMS) (section 46 (2)) mandates the disclosure of information as detailed in the annual report requirements.
- Annual report requirements for Queensland Government agencies for the 2020–21 reporting period (PDF, 929 KB)
- Summary of amendments for the 2020–21 reporting period (PDF, 356 KB)
- 2020–21 annual report—compliance checklist (template) (DOCX, 19 KB)
Please contact the Performance Unit in the Department of the Premier and Cabinet on firstname.lastname@example.org or (07) 3003 9197 if you have any specific queries.
Associated templates to be used in the preparation of annual reports (referenced in the Annual Report Requirements for Government agencies) are provided:
- Government bodies—frequently asked questions (PDF, 221 KB)
- 2020–21 annual report—Government bodies (reporting template) (DOCX, 22 KB)
Note: All reporting templates and metadata forms have been amended—these updated files must be used for the 2020–21 reporting period.
- 2020–21 annual report—Consultancies metadata form
- 2020–21 annual report—Consultancies reporting template (CSV, 224 bytes)
- 2020–21 annual report—Overseas Travel metadata form
- 2020–21 annual report—Overseas Travel reporting template (CSV, 175 bytes)
- 2020–21 annual report—Queensland Language Services Policy metadata form
- 2020–21 annual report—Queensland Language Services Policy reporting template (CSV, 195 bytes)
Annual report cover templates
- Annual report front and back cover (ZIP, 1.8MB)
- Annual report CD cover and insert (ZIP, 2.89MB)
- Instructions for annual report front and back covers (DOCX, 69KB)
Key policies and standards
- Performance Management Framework Policy (PDF, 343 KB)
- Agency Planning Requirements (PDF, 374 KB)
- Annual Report Requirements (PDF, 929 KB)
- A Guide to Risk Management
- Program Evaluation Guidelines
- Glossary of Terms (PDF, 386 KB)
Terms commonly used with planning, performance and public reporting and also risk management and evaluation.
- Measuring, Monitoring and Reporting Performance (PDF, 425 KB)
Assists in measuring and monitoring performance and preparing public reports.
- Measuring Customer Experience (PDF, 267 KB)
Better practice criteria for measuring customer satisfaction.
- Developing Performance Information—practical examples (PDF, 293 KB)
Examples of the PMF policy concepts related to each of the key elements.