What is a social benefit (or social value)?
Social benefit from procurement, can be described as:
The positive impacts on people, places or communities generated through procurement practices.
Social benefits might include:
- promoting more diverse and inclusive workforces
- creating training and employment opportunities
- addressing complex local challenges, such as intergenerational unemployment, crime, vandalism and economic decline in local communities or amongst disengaged groups
- encouraging local economic development and growth
- helping people to participate in the community and the economy
- engaging small-to-medium enterprises and social benefit suppliers, providing them with the same opportunities as other businesses.