Strategic HR capability
The Public Service Commission is developing human resource (HR) capability through an integrated, sectorwide approach that enables human resource professionals to support their business through:
- strengthening profession identity
- developing career pathways and broadening experience
- deepening understanding of the business
- expanding functional experience
- developing specific HR cohorts
- enhancing HR skills and leadership capability
- strengthening professional networks.
With a primary focus on development, the Strategic Human Resources - Capability Assessment and Development (SHR-CAD) initiative provides valuable insights into the knowledge and skills of strategic HR professionals to:
- engage with stakeholders to identify the services they most value from HR
- position HR to better support the business
- provide agencies with a baseline to benchmark against the sector and monitor progress over time
- support strategic HR professionals with a personal development plan.
The initiative was designed with 3 interlinking components:
- Strategic Human Resources Competency Framework
- Capability assessment - online online assessment of competencies through multi-rated feedback (self, supervisor, and customers)
- Development component - participants received an individual report with data on strengths and areas for development, ‘development prioritisation’ matrix, and 70:20:10 development guide.
Almost 400 strategic HR professionals from across the sector completed SHR-CAD.