QSS’s payroll reporting set to change
With the introduction of Single Touch Payroll (STP), Queensland Shared Services (QSS) will no longer produce and store end of financial year payment summaries. From the 2019/2020 financial year, the annual payment summary will be produced and stored in myGov.
What does this mean for employees?
Government employees will receive their payment summary for the current (2018/2019) financial year (issued in July 2019) as they have previously—via ESS, email or post.
From the next (2019/2020) financial year, employees will need to log into myGov to view their end of financial year payment summary. If they don’t have a myGov account, they’ll need to create one.
The QSS project team and client agencies are working together to find a solution for employees who can’t access payment summaries online.
What are QSS and customer agencies doing?
The way QSS reports payments and withholding tax to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will change from 1 July 2019.
The project team, in November 2018, gained support from agency Heads of Corporate Services (HoCS) to complete system updates and testing on their behalf. The HoCS also approved the team to engage with the ATO on their behalf, and two sending service providers (SSPs)—SAP, and QSuper and SuperChoice.
Since then, the team has:
- started to build and test the changes we need to make to Aurion and SAP HR payroll to be ready for STP fortnightly pay cycle reporting from 1 July 2019
- begun work with the SSPs to ensure the payroll data QSS provides can be transferred correctly to the ATO
- provided feedback to the ATO about the STP information on their website, suggesting the ATO adds
- process maps that show how employee information will flow from the employer to the ATO
- instructions for employees on how to access their end of financial year payment summaries
- help in languages other than English
- video and audio support in addition to written material.
The ATO has already introduced some of these changes and is currently working through the remaining feedback.
Single Touch Payroll Reference Group
To support agencies through the STP change and minimise employee impacts, the QSS project team has established an STP Reference Group.
They’ve asked agencies to nominate a representative. Please contact the QSS STP project team to nominate someone or get more information.
The group will meet monthly to discuss the upcoming changes and plan activities. The first meeting will be in March 2019.