Recently Queensland Shared Services found a website that has copied and re-posted Queensland Government jobs from the SmartJobs website.
The details of the jobs may be correct but any links on that page will take the user to an unauthorised advertisement or to a page where the user is encouraged to enter their login details.
The website may also be sending emails to the contacts listed in the job ads, to attempt to load malicious code onto their computer or with links requesting personal details.
What do you need to do?
You need to be vigilant with your email and website security practices, and follow these steps:
- Check details before following links and entering information, especially when emails are unexpected.
- Examine sender addresses to confirm the email has come from the correct address or domain.
- Check the website address in your browser (https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au).
- Hover your cursor over links to ensure the destination is a valid government domain (i.e. it ends with qld.gov.au).
- If you receive an unauthorised email, report the scam to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
We would never request login information from you by email. If you receive an email that asks you to log in, or update your login and password details, do not:
- follow any of the links in the email
- open or download any attachments in the email
- forward or reply to the email.
Find out more about phishing on the Scamwatch site.
If you have questions or concerns, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).