Thirteen Queensland Government agencies are participating in the White Ribbon Australia Workplace Accreditation Program to further support employees affected by domestic and family violence (DFV).
The program accredits workplaces that promote respectful, safe and inclusive cultures by taking active steps to prevent and respond to violence. Each agency needs to meet 3 standards and 15 criteria by end of September 2017 to be accredited as a White Ribbon Workplace.
As Queensland’s largest employer, we know we can make a significant difference to how DFV is addressed at work.
We are proud of the steps we are taking to support our employees, and hope to empower them to stand up, speak out and strive to support equitable and respectful relationships. We all have a role to play in being part of this social change.
Each of us will be involved in agencies achieving accreditation by:
- growing your personal awareness and involvement in the accreditation process
- integrating key messages into existing documents and programs (internal to an agency or whole-of-government)
- developing and implementing new products and organising events.
As part of accreditation, we will:
- challenge the attitudes and behaviours that allow violence to occur
- enhance individual capability to recognise, prevent and respond to the issue of violence
- improve or implement new practices and procedures
- encourage individuals to take an active role in creating a positive and safe workplace.
Everyone has the right to feel safe and supported at work and these agencies are leading the way:
- Department of Justice and Attorney-General
- Department of Housing and Public Works
- Queensland Police Service
- Public Safety Business Agency and the Office of the Inspector-General Emergency Management
- Queensland Treasury
- Department of Health
- Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation
- Department of Natural Resources and Mines
- Queensland Ambulance Service
- Department of the Premier and Cabinet
- Department of Education and Training
- Public Service Commission
- Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games
The Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services, Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, and the Department of Transport and Mains Roads are already White Ribbon Workplaces.
Each agency has established a multi-disciplinary working group to bring together diverse ways of thinking, and to deliver products, initiatives and events to achieve accreditation.
Contact your HR unit to see how you can be involved in the accreditation process.
Help and support
If you need support to manage domestic or family violence in your workplace, contact:
- your manager
- human resource officer
- your employee assistance provider.
In an emergency situation, always call 000.