As the supervisor of a new team member, you should induct him or her into your team or branch.
Ensure your new employee completes your local induction, which may include building emergency procedures and completing forms for system access, payroll commencement, etcetera.
- Discuss the expectations and desired outcomes of the role.
- Give the new employee the code of conduct (PDF 140KB) and discuss it after they’ve read it.
- Outline workplace health and safety obligations for employees and employers.
- Brief the new employee on work programs, their work area and the organisation in general, and how it links with your agency’s strategic direction.
- Ensure your new staff member is familiar with your timesheet system.
- Ensure your new team member understands the appropriate use of IT and their obligations. Refer to the Use of ICT facilities and devices (IS38) and your agency’s IT policies.
- Organise an on-the-job training plan for new employees requiring technical skills.
- Develop a performance and development agreement no later than three months after he or she commences.
- Ensure the new team member attends the next available induction program for your agency.