Records disposal includes the following activities.
- Destroy: refers to the complete and irreversible physical erasure of the record, ensuring it cannot be reconstituted, recreated or reconstructed.
- Transfer: includes transferring permanent records to QSA or to another public authority because of a machinery-of-government change.
- Sell: records cannot be sold, except if an agency or function is sold or privatised (see machinery-of-government changes).
- Donate: giving records to a museum or historical society must be authorised by the State Archivist.
- Loss or damage: records may be lost or damaged because of a disaster or other circumstances beyond your agency’s control, such as contamination.
- Abandon: neglect, which can lead to loss or damage to records, is a form of disposal.