Digitise and dispose of records
See the key considerations when assessing whether or not to digitise records.
Destruction of physical records after digitisation
Any original records with a permanent retention period can be transferred to QSA following digitisation. Original records with an ‘agency permanent’ retention period must be kept by your agency in addition to the digitised version.
The Digitisation Disposal Policy sets out the high level principles for digitising and destroying original records.
You must meet 3 key principles if you want to destroy paper records after digitisation:
- Records being digitised must be of temporary value, sentenced under a current and approved retention and disposal schedule and not subject to a disposal freeze (seek advice from QSA about records created before 1950).
- You must complete a risk assessment process. Risks will generally be based on ongoing legal or business requirements (consult with your agency’s legal area). Only records with a low risk rating are eligible for destruction.
- You must keep the digitised records in a well-managed system with recordkeeping functionality for as long as required. You must also have processes in place that will support the admissibility of digitised records in legal proceedings.
Before records are destroyed, your agency’s CEO or authorised delegate must sign the Compliance Declaration to confirm that your agency meets the policy requirements. You’ll need to keep this declaration permanently.
Paper records that have been successfully digitised can be destroyed under the General Retention and Disposal Schedule for Original Paper Records that have been Digitised.
Use this toolkit to help you meet the digitisation disposal principles.
- Digitisation Disposal Policy for Queensland public authorities
- General Retention and Disposal Schedule for Original Paper Records that have been digitised
- Digitisation Disposal Policy Toolkit - Assessing Eligibility of Paper Records for Early Disposal After Digitisation
- Digitisation Disposal Policy Toolkit - Metadata Guidance
- Digitisation Disposal Policy Toolkit - Planning for Digitisation
- Digitisation Disposal Policy Toolkit - Quality Assurance Guidance
- Digitisation Disposal Policy Toolkit - Technical Specifications
- Digitisation Disposal Policy - Compliance Declaration.
- Guideline for the best practice microfilming public records
- Microfilming disposal policy