Digital Archiving Program
The Digital Archiving Program (DAP) will implement new information and communication technology (ICT) capability for Queensland State Archives (QSA).
It will help QSA:
- manage existing physical record collections
- provide and manage digital record collections
- enable modern and efficient search and discovery across both physical and digital collections.
About the project
The DAP has contracted Gaia Resources to help QSA establish and manage a new digital archiving solution. Together, they will implement 2 systems:
These systems will integrate with one another, and have an automated workflow.
ArchiveSpace is an archive management and control system with a search and discovery interface. It will replace QSA’s current collection management system, including the access interfaces.
The DAP will introduce ArchivesSpace first as it will be the foundation of the new QSA digital archiving solution.
Archivematica is a digital preservation and storage system. It will allow agencies to transfer digital public records to QSA for ongoing preservation, management and access.
The DAP will launch Archivematica once ArchivesSpace is in place.
The new archival management system may introduce some changes in the processes for transferring records to QSA and requesting access to those records. QSA and the DAP will communicate with agencies about changes to these processes.
- Implementing the archival management and control system will improve agencies’ ability to search for physical records they have transferred to QSA. This will include the ability to search ‘closed’ records with sensitive metadata.
- Replacing the current aged, out of support collection management system will reduce QSA’s system risk.
- Public clients will also have more flexible and modern searching options.
Key milestones for the program include:
- August 2018—Contract executed
- January 2019—Design completed
- February 2019—ArchivesSpace build and acceptance testing started
- March 2020—Go-live of ArchivesSpace
- To be confirmed—Go-live of Archivematica