Are you working with data and looking to expand your career into data science? This course may be just what you are looking for.
Data scientists are analytical data experts who have the technical skills to solve complex problems by extracting meaning from and interpreting data. Data science offers a powerful framework to expand our evidence-based understanding of policy choices, as well as directly improve service delivery.
The course covers areas that data analysts are typically involved in on a day to day basis. By the end of the course, you will have worked up to:
- machine learning and deep learning algorithms.
This course is offered through an online multi-modal learning platform. It is predominantly a self-directed learning opportunity with 4 tracks and 96 courses:
- Track 1: Data Analyst role with a focus on: Python, R, architecture, statistics and Spark
- Track 2: Data Wrangler role, exploring areas such as: wrangling with Python, Mongo and Hadoop
- Track 3: the Data Ops role, exploring areas such as: governance, security and harnessing volume and velocity
- Track 4: Data Scientist role, exploring areas such as: visualisation, APIs, ML and DL algorithms.
As well as online content, this course will support you with access to:
- labs to practice your new skills in a safe environment
- email advice and support by subject matters experts throughout the entire program
There are plenty of assessments and hands-on practice labs (done virtually on real equipment and applications), so you can demonstrate your knowledge and applicability of the material covered.
You will need to complete all tracks to complete the course, however you can complete the tracks in any order. There is a test at the end of each track. Once passed, you will receive a badge for each completed track which can be displayed on LinkedIn. There is no formal certification at the completion of this course.
There are limited places available. To gain a place on the course you must:
- meet the course pre-requisites
- be a permanent or temporary Queensland Government employee
- have a Queensland Government email address
- work primarily in the data analytics space
- be prepared to be a self-directed learner and create and commit to your learning plan
- have support from your direct supervisor.
You must have the following prerequisite skills to undertake the course:
- familiar with Python and R programming
- comfortable working with data with applications such as Excel
- familiar with cloud systems, such as Azure and AWS.
You will have access to the learning platform and content until June 2021.
There is a total of 88 hours of online learning content to be completed. In addition to this you will need time to undertake the tests and practice in the labs. For some participants with built knowledge there may be subjects where you can simply take the exam and not review the content.
As this program requires a significant time commitment, it is important to discuss this with your manager.
There are no costs involved for individuals or departments, just your time and commitment.
This course is offered by the Queensland Government Customer and Digital Group, Housing and Public Works.
How to nominate
Nominations are currently closed.