Opt-in must be used over opt-out.
Benefits of conformance
- Increased value for all users.
- Increased trust.
- Respects user choices.
- Values user input.
Risks of non-conformance
- Invasion of privacy for users.
- Possible misuse of information (e.g. spam).
- Increased administration of information and data.
Where a user has the option to:
- join mailing lists
- receive newsletters
- receive promotional material
- release personal details
- accept terms and conditions, privacy statements or disclaimers
These options must be presented in an opt-in manner.
Correct: The user has to actively opt-in to receive email notifications.
Incorrect: The check box is checked by default. This means the user may proceed to the next step without consciously choosing to receive email notifications.