Module 4: Checkpoint 14—Personal information
Remove optional form fields that collect personal information.
Benefits of conformance
- Increased data reliability and integrity.
- Decreased data volume (only collecting essential data).
- Increased levels of trust, reliability and credibility.
Risks of non-conformance
- Increased privacy risks.
- Possible misuse of personal data.
- Violation of information privacy principles.
- Increased risk of form abandonment (intrusion).
Collecting personal information that is not required violates federal and state privacy legislation.
Any information requested that seems too personal but is not mandatory will be viewed as an invasion of privacy by many users. This brings the credibility of the form or application into question, lowering the user's level of trust, which can lead to transaction abandonment.
Note: Any time personal information is collected, the reason for its collection, who can access it and how it will be used must be explained to the user. This is a legislative requirement, but also promotes greater user trust in the form or application.