All images must have a text alternative; except for images that do not add value to the content (e.g. decorative images).
Decorative images must have a null alt attribute e.g. alt="".
Benefits of conformance
- Increase accessibility.
Risks of non-conformance
- Discriminatory for people with visual impairments.
- Threat of possible legal action against the Queensland Government.
- Screen readers convert text into synthesized speech so that users can listen to the content. As screen readers are unable to interpret images, websites must provide an alternative text description of the image.
- Alternative text is also displayed on a website when the display of images has been turned off – refer to Checkpoint 12 for more information.
- Alternative text also provides semantic meaning and description to images for search engines.