Agencies must conform to the requirements for markup ( http://www.qld.gov.au/web/cue/definitions/index.html#markup ) , presentation and behaviour included with the CUE template.
These requirements cover, but are not limited to:
Markup: Head, body, header, navigation, content, footer.
Presentation: Skip links, page layout, header, navigation, content, footer, print.
Behaviour: Skip links, navigation, content.
Note: Use of the CUE template is not mandatory, but use of the CUE template represents a cost-effective way for agencies to meet the requirements.
Benefits of conformance
- Provides a consistent and largely seamless experience as visitors travel between Government web resources (web sites or applications).
- Provides developers with a good framework for building highly accessible and usable web resources.
- Conformance with markup requirements means that users of assistive technologies need only learn once how to interact with Queensland Government web resources.
- Conformance with the presentation requirements means that sighted visitors need only learn once how to orient themselves on Queensland Government web resources.
- Conformance with the behaviour requirements means that all visitors need only learn once how to interact with Queensland Government web resources.
Risks of non-conformance
- Website visitors will take longer to familiarise themselves with how a non-conformant site looks and behaves.
- Queensland Government credibility and user trust is negatively impacted when the transition from one site to another is not seamless.
- These risks lead to reverse channel migration as follow up interactions with other contact channels (phone or counter) are then required to complete the enquiry or transaction.
It is possible to meet the requirements without using the CUE template code verbatim, but use of the CUE template represents a cost-effective way for agencies to meet the requirements.
- The CUE template has been designed to give web developers a standard 'template' to download and use as a guide for developing a CUE-conformant website.
- The CUE template reflects the requirements of the CUE screen layout module and can be used as a basis for creating new conformant websites quickly.
Agencies may modify the provided template code as long as the final website meets all conformance requirements, including accessibility, markup, presentation and behaviour requirements.