Under Section 58 of the Human Rights Act 2019, all public service employees must:
- give proper consideration to human rights before making a decision (procedural obligation)
- act and make decisions that are compatible with human rights (substantive obligation).
How to use this tool
This decision tree will help you consider human rights before making a decision (your procedural obligation), which will help you to act and make decisions that are compatible with human rights (your substantive obligation). At the end, you can email yourself a copy of your answers as a record.
As this decision tree is a guide only, talk to your agency's legal team if you need expert legal advice. Your agency may also have its own process for assessing human rights impacts.
Before you begin
We recommend you:
- complete the training to understand human rights so you can demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the Human Rights Act 2019
- read about the 23 human rights and what they cover
- review our human rights guides and templates.