Case studies about flexible working
The Department of Energy and Water Supply is implementing an Agile working program to improve inclusion and diversity, and to get the best out of its employees.
The program includes:
- rollout of mobile technology
- senior leaders working flexibly
- a cultural change program to showcase new thinking, innovation and the benefits of flexible working
- optional timesheets
- a leadership program for all employees to improve culture, team building and accountability
- a Path-to-parity program for part-time employees.
All roles flex
The Public Service Commission (PSC) has been implementing an All roles flex approach in which all roles, including senior executives, have access to flexible work arrangements. The use of mobile technology provides greater flexibility for employees, allowing them to work anytime, anywhere. The uptake and variety of flexible working continues to increase across all roles.
Flexible working arrangements package
The Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services has been working to streamline and promote flexible work arrangements, resources, processes and procedures to enable different ways of working and to improve staff access to relevant information and technology. This approach provides employees with the support they need to balance their work and personal commitments.
Microsoft Surface tablets
The Department of the Premier and Cabinet and the PSC have replaced all desktops with tablets to encourage mobility and productivity. This has provided greater flexibility for employees to access departmental networks from a wireless connection anywhere.
Distributed Work Centre pilot
The Department of Housing and Public Works is piloting a distributed work centres (DWC) in South East Queensland to enable flexible and modern work practices for Queensland Government employees.
DWCs available in Ipswich, Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast allows more than 100 employees to work closer to home rather than travel to the Brisbane CBD.
You can access DWCs if you have a residential postcode in the relevant catchment and a CBD-based work postcode.
Talk to your manager or HR representative about participating in the pilot before contacting the DWC pilot manager.
Find out what public servants are saying about the Ipswich DWC.
Deferred Salary Scheme and Purchased Leave Arrangements
The Department of Education, Training and Employment offers a Deferred Salary Scheme or Purchased Leave Arrangements as a flexible workforce management practice allowing employees to manage short or longer periods away from the workplace.
- Telstra – All Roles Flex accelerating change for women
- Diversity Council Australia in partnership with Westpac Group – Get flexible
- Suncorp flexible working - W@H Hub
- Suncorp: HR come rain, hail or shine: HR at Suncorp Group
- Suncorp: When stay at home becomes a win-win
- Justitia – wins flexible work award
- Unilevers Agile Working: A Unilever Case Study Program – A case study (PDF, 7.55 MB - very large file)
- Flexible working: The route to greater business efficiency and happier people, An O2 white paper (PDF, 329 KB)
- Managing in a flexible environment (PDF, 233 KB)
- APS Human Capital Matters Issue 7, Flexible Work, 2013
- ICT as a driver of Productivity (PDF, 876 KB)
- Unlocking the benefits of flexible working for your business (PDF, 1.01 MB - large file size)
- Enhancing labour force participation: issues and challenges, Productivity Commission (PDF, 108 KB)
- Flexibility drives productivity (PDF, 1.38 MB - large file)
- Work, Life and Health Study (PDF, 1.2 MB - large file)
- International and national perspectives on best practice trends in workplace flexibility (PDF, 52 KB)
- Organisational effectiveness and the flexible workplace (Baird), 2010, presentation to SES of the APS (PDF, 102 KB)
- Diversity Council Australia – Men want flexible working too!
- Catalyst – The great debate flexibility vs face time, busting the myths behind flexible work arrangements (PDF, 866 KB)
- Smart Company – Why offering flexible work is no longer optional: survey